Parties and big games and gatherings of all kinds always include food. I love taking something to share but a lot of time, the prep work for taking something great kind of takes the fun out of making it. This Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Dip recipe is simple and tasty and just LOOKS like you spent a lot of time making it. In all honesty, the slow cooker does the work but no one ever needs to know!
The slow cooker is a multi-purpose appliance that never really gets appreciated for all of the things it can help with. Over the years of learning to cook I have both loved and hated it, going through phases of using it all the time and then putting it away for months. There are certain things that I have been forbidden to ever put in there again and other things where it is the only appliance I would consider using. For this dip, this is the most amazing time saver ever!
This recipe has only eight ingredients. The recipe begins by putting the first seven into the slow cooker. There’s a can of diced tomatoes with the green chilies incorporated in, shredded chicken, a one pound block of Velveeta processed cheese cut into chunks, sour cream, green onions, taco seasoning and a couple of tablespoons of jalapeno pepper (fresh, pickled or canned). You put them in, turn the heat onto high, cover, and walk away for a while.
Come back and stir a few times over the next hour or two. When the cheese is all melted and everything is mixed together and smelling amazing, it’s time to add the black beans.
I want to stop here for a minute and address why the beans should be both drained and rinsed before adding them to the dip. Canned black beans seem kind of slimy when they come out of the can because of the starches released when they are cooked and canned. This won’t hurt you. The liquid they are in is really high in salt though, so draining them AND rinsing them keeps your dip from becoming too salty.
Once the beans are ready to be added, turn the temperature in the slow cooker down to low and stir them in. Cook them for about 15 more minutes so that everything is warm and delicious before serving.
If you can, leave the dip in the slow cooker turned on to the “keep warm” setting for serving. Serve with tortilla chips or Scoops for dipping. People will wonder how you had the time to come up with something so delicious for the party. Enjoy!
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies 14 ounces
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 pound Velveeta processed cheese food cubed
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning mix
- 2 tbsp chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1 can black beans rinsed, 10 ounces
- Place the first seven ingredients into a slow cooker and turn on to high heat.
- Cook for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted and the dip is heated through.
- Reduce heat to low and add rinsed black beans. Stir until incorporated. Cook for an additional 15 minutes until heated through.
- Stir and serve warm from the slow cooker with tortilla chips or Scoops for dipping. Enjoy!