Tender shrimp in a creamy garlic sauce with just the right amount of Italian seasoning, Tuscan Shrimp and Zoodles is an easy, delicious and Keto friendly meal the whole family will love!
Every so often you find a recipe that everyone in the family loves and this one does NOT disappoint! My family loves shrimp but there are only so many things that you can do with it. With my husband going back on Keto, I have to get a little creative sometimes to reduce the carbs. This recipe is written with the inclusion of zoodles to make it Keto friendly, but you could just as easily serve this over any pasta and it would be just as delicious, with just a few more carbs!
What the heck are Zoodles?
Simply put, zoodles are zucchini cut with a spiralizer. A spiralizer cuts the zucchini into thin strips that are way more healthy than pasta. Especially for people watching their carb intake. This is not a small difference – a serving of Pasta is over 40 grams of carbs where a serving of zoodles is under five. And zucchini is healthy and good for you! You can put anything on it that you would put on pasta. Crazy, right? For this recipe, we’re keeping it Keto but if you want to swap pasta out instead, just cook to package directions and serve the sauce and shrimp over pasta instead. (I will never tell!)
Making Zoodles is easier than you think!
I will admit that in the beginning I was a little resistant to cooking with zoodles, mostly because I really like pasta. What I didn’t realize is that substituting zoodles in makes the whole meal so much lighter than pasta and it is actually a really nice change, even if you’re not following a special diet. They are crisp and fresh and their cooking time is under five minutes. I use 3-4 small zucchini, wash and trim the ends and then put them through the spiralizer. You can get all sorts of fancy spiralizers but my favorite one is the inexpensive Veggetti manual one that I picked up for about $10. You put the zucchini in and twist it, and when you’re done with it, it fits in the drawer. It takes just minutes. For this recipe, once you have turned your zucchini into zoodles, cut them into pieces about 4-5 inches long and set them aside to bring in near the end.
How to make Tuscan Shrimp with Zoodles
Melt three tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add both the minced garlic and the shrimp to the skillet and cook for three to four minutes, stirring often, until shrimp are cooked through. They won’t look grey and translucent anymore – they will be opaque and pink. Be sure not to overcook them or they will get rubbery. Remove the shrimp from the skillet, transfer to a bowl then set aside.
Add the onion to the remaining butter and garlic in the skillet that will be leftover after you remove the shrimp. Stir and cook about two minutes until softened. Add the wine to the skillet and allow to reduce by about half, stirring often. If you don’t want to use wine you can use chicken broth instead. Add the chopped sun dried tomatoes and stir to incorporate into the onion mixture.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and whisk in the half and half. Add the salt and pepper and bring the sauce to a simmer.
Add the spinach leaves and Parmesan cheese and stir until the spinach becomes wilted and the cheese is incorporated into the sauce.
Return the shrimp to the skillet and sprinkle with the Italian seasoning. Stir, making sure all of the shrimp are evenly coated in the sauce. Reduce heat to low and stir occasionally while you make the zoodles.
Cooking the Zoodles – Just THREE Minutes!
Bring a medium pot of generously salted water to a boil on the stove top. Once it is boiling, drop in the zoodles and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. Don’t overcook them. You really want them to be crisp-tender, not mushy.
Once the three minutes are up, drain the zoodles immediately and divide them between four serving dishes.
Top the zoodles with the Tuscan shrimp and generously spoon over the extra sauce. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Other Keto Friendly Recipes You May Like
Big Mac Salad Bowl (Keto) – All the deliciousness of a Big Mac in a Keto friendly dinner salad!
Roasted Radishes – simple, flavorful and an absolutely delicious change of pace.
Simple Sauteed Zucchini with Lemon – Tender bites of zucchini cooked with Italian seasoning, a hint of garlic and a burst of fresh lemon.
Keto Alfredo Spaghetti Squash Bake – Baked in a creamy, garlicky Alfredo sauce and topped with gooey mozzarella. So good!
Pan Fried Brussels Sprouts with Bacon – a perfect side dish – bacon just makes it better!
Get the Printable Recipe Here
Did you enjoy this recipe for Tuscan Shrimp & Zoodles? Be sure to leave a rating and comment below!
Tuscan Shrimp and Zoodles
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound medium shrimp cleaned
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup jarred sun-dried tomatoes in oil drained and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups half & half
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3-4 small zucchini washed and zoodled
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic and the shrimp and cook three to four minutes, stirring often, until shrimp are cooked through, opaque and pink.
- Remove the shrimp from the skillet and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- Add the onion to the remaining butter and garlic in the skillet. Stir and cook about two minutes until softened.
- Add the wine to the skillet and allow to reduce by about half, stirring often.
- Add the sun dried tomatoes and stir to incorporate into the onion mixture.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and whisk in the half and half. Add salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Add the spinach leaves and Parmesan cheese and stir until spinach becomes wilted and cheese is incorporated into the sauce.
- Return the shrimp to the skillet and sprinkle with the Italian seasoning. Stir, making sure all shrimp are evenly coated in the sauce. Reduce heat to low.
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil on the stove top.
- Drop in zoodles and allow to cook for two to three minutes. Drain immediately and divide between serving dishes.
- Top zoodles with Tuscan shrimp and serve immediately. Enjoy!