Quick & Easy Tartar Sauce is Simple to make and Tastes so much better than store bought!
Quick & Easy Tartar Sauce is a cold, creamy, simple mayonnaise based sauce that adds a pop of brightness to dishes by incorporating lemon, dill and finely diced dill pickles for the perfect complimentary crunch.
There are many additions that can be made to tartar sauce but this version is really good, probably because of it’s simplicity. This recipe uses pantry ingredients to create a delicious sauce for fish & chips, crab cakes, shrimp, or any other seafood. It is also really good with french fries or roasted vegetables!
If you’ve never been a fan of store bought tartar sauce, give this one a try. It is so yummy it just might change your mind!
About the Ingredients
This delicious and easy to make tartar sauce uses straightforward pantry ingredients, nothing too fancy, but there can always be changes or substitutions to cater to what you have on hand! Here’s some alternatives:
- Mayonnaise – this ingredient provides the creamy base for the tartar sauce. I have heard of people substituting Miracle Whip in this recipe but we believe that real mayonnaise is the perfect blank canvas for this sauce.
- Dill Pickles – Any type of pickles can be used for this recipe. We have used spicy dill pickles, bread & butter pickles, regular pickles… you can even substitute relish if that is what you have on hand – just substitute 1/4 cup of relish in place of the full cup of diced pickle pieces!
- Dill – Fresh dill or dried dill can be used in this recipe. 1 tablespoon of fresh or 1 teaspoon of dried – you can add more or less to your taste.
- Lemon Juice – Fresh lemon juice is the best in this recipe but the bottled kind works just as well!
- Sugar – The amount of sugar in this recipe is quite small but it adds just the right amount of sweetness to the sauce. It can be completely left out if you prefer.
- Black Pepper – Coarse ground pepper is recommended for this sauce but if all you have is regular pepper, that will work just fine too.
- Other Additions to Consider – Garlic powder, capers, Dijon mustard, and Worchestershire sauce are all interesting and delicious additions to this simple sauce if you want to experiment with changing things up.
How to Make Quick & Easy Tartar Sauce
The instructions for this recipe are crazy easy. Put all of the ingredients in a small bowl and stir well.
Refrigerate for at least an hour then stir and serve. Any leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to a week. Enjoy!
Other Sauces and Salad Dressing Recipes you may Like
Easy Homemade Ranch Dip – easily transformed into an awesome salad dressing with just a little milk.
Asian Ginger Salad Dressing – so many uses! Salad dressing, marinade, brushed over vegetables… fresh & easy!
Homemade Thousand Island Salad Dressing – A delicious, preservative free addition to any salad or burger, this Salad Dressing is quick and easy!
Cheddar Cheese Sauce for Veggies – Six simple ingredients come together to make a sauce that tastes great on almost any vegetable!
Poppy Seed Dressing for Fruit Salad – simple poppy seed dressing enhances the flavors of any fruit salad.
Get the Printable Recipe Here
Did you enjoy this recipe for Quick & Easy Tartar Sauce? Be sure to leave a rating and comment below!
Quick & Easy Tartar Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dill pickles
- 1 tbsp fresh dill or 1 tsp dried
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Stir until well combined.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the flavors to develop.
- Stir and serve. Store and leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to a week. Enjoy!