Tender broccoli, cubed chicken and pasta in a creamy Alfredo sauce, topped with Parmesan and buttery bread crumbs then baked to comfort food perfection.
Before I learned to cook, I used to buy a pre-made frozen Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Bake and it was AMAZING. Then two things happened – they stopped making it and I learned to cook, although not at the same time. I created this recipe so my family could enoy it again. Cooked the same day or made-ahead and frozen, this remains one of our favorite comfort food meals!
Ingredients and Variations for Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Bake
PASTA – Any tube shaped pasta can be used for this dish. This means ziti, penne, rigatoni, mostaccioli, even elbow macaroni if that’s what you have. Just cook it to al dente per the package directions as cooking times will vary.
BROCCOLI – Fresh or frozen broccoli florets can be used for this dish. If using frozen, do not thaw, just follow the directions and add to the pasta water for the last 3 minutes of cooking time.
ALFREDO SAUCE – This recipe walks you through making your own Alfredo sauce with two types of milk, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and lemon but you can substitute a pre-made jar of Alfredo sauce (14.5 – 22 ounces) instead if you choose!
How to Make Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Bake
This delicious dinner casserole can be cooked at the time it’s made or frozen for another time. See recipe notes for make-ahead instructions!
- Cook dried pasta to “al dente” directions on the package. In the last 3 minutes of cooking time, toss in broccoli then drain and put into a medium bowl with the cooked, cubed chicken. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the evaporated milk and regular milk, flour, 1/2 of the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a saucepan and soften the onions, add garlic and lemon and then slowly whisk in the milk mixture until thickened into Alfredo sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the broccoli, pasta and chicken and stir until coated.
- Make the bread crumb topping by combining bread crumbs, garlic powder and parsley with melted butter.
- Lightly spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pour pasta and sauce mixture into the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese. Top with the bread crumb mixture and bake for 15 minutes until heated through and slightly browned.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Other Easy Casseroles and Make-Ahead Meals
Chicken Enchiladas – a longstanding family favorite!
Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese – just as good as the restaurant version
Taco Casserole – easy customizable weeknight meal
Cheesy Broccoli and Potato Pork Chop Bake – meat & potatoes all in one meal
Baked Macaroni and Tomatoes with Garlic Breadcrumbs – satisfying and delicious comfort food
Get the Printable Recipe Here
Did you enjoy this Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Bake? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Bake
- 8 ounces Penne pasta
- 3 cups broccoli florets cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups cooked cubed chicken
- 1 can evaporated milk 12 ounces
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped about 3/4 cup
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced about 2 tsp
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
Bread Crumb Topping
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add Penne pasta and cook to al dente per package directions.
- Add broccoli to the pasta in the last three minutes of cooking time then drain the pasta and broccoli and remove to a medium bowl. Add chicken, stir to combine and set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together the evaporated milk, regular milk, flour, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add chopped onion and saute for about 3 minutes until softened. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Create Alfredo sauce by slowly whisking the milk mixture into the saucepan heating until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pour the Alfredo sauce over the chicken, broccoli and pasta and stir to coat.
- In a small bowl, make the bread crumb topping by combining the bread crumbs, garlic powder, parsley and melted butter.
- Lightly spray an oven safe casserole dish with cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pour the pasta and sauce into the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese. Top with the bread crumb mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes until heated through and lightly browned. Serve immediately. Enjoy!